Menuge's argument for the claim that our intentionality is designed
Angus Menuge suggests the following argument in support of the claim that our intentionality is the result of a prior intentionality:
1. If something has a purpose, then it is designed.
2. Intentinality has the purpose of guiding behavior.
3. So intentionality is designed. (1 and 2)
4. But clearly, our intentionality was not designed by us, although it does enable us to convey our own designs.
5. Thus, our intentionality is the result of prior design. (3 and 4)
6. But…if something is designed, then it is the product of intentionality.
7. So, if our intentionality is the product of prior intentionality.
If this argument is correct, then intentionality can be grounds for thinking that our intentionality is the product of a prior intentionality.